Writing yesterday’s post about my time in the word, inspired me to provide ya’ll with a few more details and helpful tips about my morning routine with God!
I definitely don’t get to do it this thoroughly everyday, or even most days, BUT when I do follow my structure that I talk about below, it is always SO GOOD!
- Wake Up Early
- I love waking up with enough time to get ready and have breakfast and feel squared away for the day before jumping into time with the Lord. If I feel rushed or preoccupied about whatever-my time with Him in the word is significantly effected.
- Start the Process Sooner
- It’s helpful when you don’t just all of a sudden sit down and expect to have a beautiful deep communion with the Lord! Work your way into it! Just like if you and I were to meet for coffee, I wouldn’t just ask “So what is the biggest thing you are burdened by right now?” the minute we sat down (well maybe I would-but not usually!). Typically, we would have some “small talk” and preliminary conversation before getting in deep. I like to do the same with the Lord. I often will pray (I have daily prayers posted on my bathroom mirror) or listen to Christian podcasts (Mortification of Spin, Ask Pastor John, The Gospel Coalition, or The Briefing) while I do my hair and make-up to be preparing my heart for time with the Lord. Also (guilty of not doing this)-go to bed at a decent hour so that mornings aren’t so hard 🙂
- Pray-before and after
- The ONLY way we have any understanding or blessing from being in the Word, is if the Holy Spirit works in us to understand and love it’s pages. We need to remember our dependence on him and thank him for his grace in helping us! If your mind wanders a lot when praying-trying journaling!
- REFLECT, REFLECT, REFLECT!
- How many times have I read something one day, and the next day have NO MEMORY of reading ANYTHING? Toooo many times! The best way I’ve found to prevent that is to always take time to meditate on what I just read. I have to land on a takeaway or an action step or a thing to praise God for anew! This quote is SOOOOO TRUE!
So maybe just try and implement one of these if they are new to you! Don’t overcomplicate it! Just know that spending time with God everyday is going to make you more like him-and that is a WONDERFUL thing! Just aim to get to know him and love him more each time you are in the Word, and remember that it’s not something to dread, but something to delight in!
What are some of your tips/best practices? What kind of questions do you have about time with the Lord?