I’m a list person. You’ll find them everywhere. I have a notebook by my bed-full of lists, sticky notes surrounding my desk-list city, and one of my most-used apps on my phone: Wunderlist-a list of lists! I list my groceries, my prayer requests, and even my friendships (my co-workers make fun of me-but I need to be organized!)-and find it to be helpful to visually categorize things in my life. With that being said, you’ll not be surprised that my life’s mantra equates to categorizing all things in my life into one of three lists.
Find the things that increase your affections for Christ, and with all your heart-pursue those things.
Identify the things that neutralize your affections for Christ, and as much as possible-avoid/redeem those things.
Know the things that decrease your affections for Christ, and for your soul’s sake-run from those things.
These lists will be different for every person, and this is not an exhaustive list for me-but it’ll give you a good snapshot 🙂 Oh and as a side note, I do think that many things mentioned in List Two have the potential to be moved to List One-it just takes intentionality and a desire to worship God in all things! AND there are things naturally in List One, that if I get lazy or negative or look away from Christ, they will transition to List Two. :0
List One: Things that Increase my Affections for Christ
- Quality time with God
- Reading His word
- Reading about Him
- Doodling quotes about Him
- Talking about God
- With unbelievers
- With my sisters and brothers in Christ
- With my mentor ❤
- With the world wide web!
- Enjoying the world He made (especially with friends!)
- At the beach
- On a run
- In a kayak
- On a trail
- In the city
- Some music 🙂
- Blessing the senses He gave me!
- Through coffee and icecream (not together though…)
- Making and having dinner (with friends!)
- Good music
- Enjoying the relationships He gave me
- Church family
- Random Things
- Learning in general (TED Talks=time of worship for me!)
- Movies that spur good conversation
List Two: Things that Neutralize my Affections for Christ
- Some Social Media
- Complaining instead of peacefully praying (about what’s going on in the world)
- Comparing instead of praising
- Being lazy (not resting…actually being bum like)
- Media intake without processing/reflecting
- I NEED to talk about a movie after i watch it in order to “redeem” it from List 2, to List 1. This may just be me-but I want to dialogue about the lies portrayed as truths, and the evils portrayed as good. I want to welcome God into my TV/Movie viewing and do that best through conversation! I understand not everyone is like this and that is a-okay 🙂
- Working haphazardly
- If I work hard and with a focus on honoring God in my job-it’s totally in List One, but the days (and weeks) that I just go into work without remembering WHY I work, and WHO I ultimately work for-it’s List Two.
List Three: Things that Decrease my Affections for Christ:
- Most TV Comedies
- Humor that I find funny, that God does not
- Wasting hours
- Being convinced that I want what the world has
- Some Social Media
- endlessly scrolling through Pinterest humor, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- being too intrigued by the world’s gossip/interest (buzzfeed stories for me)
- Pining for what I don’t have
- Wishing/daydreaming/coveting breeds mistrust and discontentment
So that is what I came up with! This is something that helps me, and maybe it’ll help you too! Write out your three lists, and see what you can do to eliminate things from List Three! Also see if you can transfer things from List Two to List One with a little prayer and focus 🙂 Through Jesus Christ, God has given us the GREATEST GIFT in life-and that is HIMSELF. We can know, enjoy, and love Him! Let’s prepare for eternity and do it as much as possible!!! (Also, make sure you read these quotes below!)