I, probably like many of you, have a love/hate relationship with my smart phone. I appreciate that I can find answers on google anytime, anywhere, and it’s nice to be aware of what is going on in my inbox afterhours, but I hate how distracting it can be. I know I only have myself to blame, but far too often it is a time thief! All I want to do is look up a new smoothie recipe, but one way or another 2 hours fly by I find myself somewhere deep in the Land of Pinterest, or Youtube, or Facebook, or blogsites, etc. etc. etc.
Knowing that I am already susceptible to wasting too much time on my phone, I am fairly intentional about the apps I will or will not download. I am kind of against games, simply because they isolate the person and usually dumb the mind. I have ONE game on my phone, no it is not flappy birds (is that even still a thing?) it is charades and has proven to be quite the party game. Though I suggest it, that is not the download I am promoting in this blog.
I have an app called “Ask Pastor John” and it is a daily podcast where Pastor John Piper (and other experts in random theological fields) answer questions sent in by listeners on all sorts of topics. Some from last month include: “Counsel for Those Considering Transgender”, “What Will Be Familiar to Us in Heaven?” ,“Will You Marry a Couple Already Living Together?” ,“Should Christians Watch ‘Game of Thrones” and many more equally interesting 5-10 minute responses to real questions.
I appreciate and recommend this app for a NUMBER of reasons. The top 5 being these:
- Biblically strong: Some of the questions are clearly not in Scripture explicitly, but those who are answering never give their own opinion/preference without clear biblical references and theological truths that support their claim.
- Humble Responses: I have steadfastly heard a constant effort not to let their answers come across as the “end all” in any particular conversation/situation. They each humbly admit their own humanity and clearly depend on the wisdom that only God can give.
- Culturally Aware: They are not shying away from cultural, nor emulating cultural, but instead recognizing it and trying to respond to it in truth and in love.
- Concise: It’s only a few minutes! They are not long exegetical sermons (which are awesome!) so I have time EVERY MORNING to listen to a nugget of truth while I am brushing my teeth/putting on my makeup/doing my hair.
- Broad Range of Topics: For me, a person who finds almost every topic incredibly interesting, it is cool to hear some mornings about church history, and other mornings about adoption, and others about the speed limit. It reminds me of God’s care, knowledge, and interest in every facet of our existence.
So I say, if you haven’t already, download the Ask Pastor John app available for iPhone or Android and listen to eat every morning; make it a part of your routine. Ultimately, Christian, you should be having conversations with believers and unbelievers about Christ as much as possible! He should be on your mind and tongue SO much more than what He (probably) is. So may this app encourage you to have more conversations centered on our Savior, and may it help equip you to best talk about, explain, seek, love, honor, and obey Him to the glory of His name.
If you already have the app, let me know what you think!
P.S. This in NO way is to replace your personal time in the Word! It’s just a supplemental tool 🙂